Skip
gnb
contents
footer

History Walking Course with Living Stories towards Sejong City.

  • TRACK LENGTH 76.88km

“History Walking Course with Living Stories towards Sejong City” starts with an old chinese juniper of Bonsan-dong. Then, visitors walk along Unjusanseong Fortress, the base of Baekje Revival Movement, and Geumiseong Fortress and Iseong Fortress, which are presumed to be built during the Baekje Dynasty, to see the remains of Baekje Dynasty in Sejong City. Visitors see the vestige of General Kim Jong-seo and Seong Sam-mun, loyal subjects during Joseon Dynasty, and have a time for deep-rooted cultural exploration in Sejong City through Geumgangdaedo, a religion whose head temple is located at Sejong City.

  • 1 Chinese juniper of Bonsan-dong
  • 11.31 km
  • 2 Unjusanseong Fortress
  • 10.11 km
  • 3 Iseong Fortress
  • 9.83 km
  • 4 Geumiseong Fortress
  • 22.24 km
  • 5 Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo
  • 16.89 km
  • 6 Geumgangdaedo
  • 6.50 km
  • 7 Munjeolsa Temple(Maejukheonsawu)
01Chinese juniper of Bonsan-dong
Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

Korean people have long lived by agricultural activities. Until the modern times, with little development in science and machines, people relied on the sky for the year’s harvest; they held prayer rituals for preventing flood or rain. How about a village? Various disasters such as disease, death and accidents can happen anywhere from a household to the entire community. Our ancestors traditionally had a unique belief in each region to protect their family and village from fearful existences.

One of these examples is an old chinese juniper of Bonsan-dong, Jochiwon-eup, Sejong City. Choi Jung-ryong whose clan is Gwanghwa Choi planted this tree at the village after his father passed away in the hope of spreading filial piety. Local residents believe that the entire village is peaceful when the tree is overgrown, while the village has bad events when the tree gets weakened with disease; the juniper is a spiritual pillar as well as a guardian for the villagers. As it has survived for a long time thanks to the caring and support from ancestors, the juniper is valued as a cultural and biological material; the tree has been designated and protected as Natural Monument No.321.

Reaching Bonsan-dong, Jochiwon-eup for an old but remarkable tree, part of a poem “Going on a Picnic to the Mountain or Field” by An Do-hyeon comes to the mind: “There is a 400-year-old tree (…) / If you encounter an old zelkova tree / while passing by the path / you need to revere the tree (…)

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

Scenery of village at Bongsan.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

It is easy to find the tree by the road sign.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

With 3.2m in height and 2.84m in girth at the height of the chest, chinese juniper of Bonsan-dong signifies a long history with its thick branches although it is not tall for the past 400 years.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

A prop is held to prevent branches from stretching in all directions and hanging down

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

The main stem of the tree is twisted to look like a dragon.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

A prop supports dragged branches of juniper.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

An old juniper seen from the ground.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

Along with the surrounding forest, an old juniper in the middle of summer looks all the more beautiful.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

Thickly grown leaves of an old juniper look healthy.

Juniper at Bonsan-dong [Photo]

Thickly grown leaves of an old juniper look healthy.

Information

  • As juniper is at the center of private houses in the village, there are no parking lot or public amenities. You need to park your car at an appropriate place in the village and move to the tree by foot. The distance from the entrance of the village to the juniper is about 100m.
  • Name and address for navigation : Chinese juniper of Bonsan-dong, 128, Bongsan, Jochiwon-eup,Sejong Special Self-governing City
02Unjusanseong Fortress
Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Unjusanseong Fortress is a massive fortress, which was made by using geographical characteristics of “Unjusan Mountain,” one of the most famous mountains in Sejong-si, during the Baekje Dynasty. It is estimated that the fortress was a base for the Baekje Revival Movement to revive Baekje, perished by Shilla-Tang allies. This fortress is also called “Juryuseong Fortress,” but its location is not evident academically. Other than Unjusanseong Fortress, other fortresses are presumed as “Juryuseong Fortress,” including Geonjisanseong Fortresss in Hansan-myeon, Seocheon-gun, Chungnam, Duseungsanseong Fortress in Jeongeup, Jeonbuk, and Wigeumamsanseong Fortress in Sangseo-myeon, Buan, Jeonbuk.

Unjusanseong Fortress has interior and exterior fortresses by connecting three summits with the peak of Unjusan Mountain at the height of 460m. The size of the external fortress is massive as the width of the interior wall is about 1.23km and that of outer wall is about 3.1km. Like Unjusanseong Fortress, a double-structure fortress was considered a new form of fortress during the late Baekje Dynasty.

Unjusanseong Fortress is the best place for enjoying trekking with the family. Climbing the peak of the mountain on an adequate slope and returning to the start point of the fortress provide the double joy of walking the small path in the forest and enjoying easy trekking as well as exploring the cultural heritage.

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Parking lot to Unjusanseong Fortress

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Gate of Unjusanseong Fortress

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Ascending along the wall from the gate of Unjusanseong Fortress leads the path to its summit.

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

An elegant pine tree forest of Unjusanseong Fortress

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

A building site is seen next to the fortress wall.

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Scenery of the summit of the fortress.

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

At the peak of Unjusanseong Fortress, there are Baekje Symbol Tower and letters for notification. The latter is designed to notify reasons for carrying out important events to God.

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Gate of Unjusanseong Fortress from the north of fortress.

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Scenery of the interior of Unjusanseong Fortress.

Unjusanseong Fortress  [Photo]

Scenery of the interior of Unjusanseong Fortress.

Information

  • Distance is 4.5km and time for walking excluding breaks is 1 hour and 20 minutes. The exploration ends on returning to the original point. The exploration course is as follows: Parking lot 0.14km -> Gosansa Temple 0.63km ->Gate of Unjusanseong Fortress 0.09km ->Octagonal pavilion 1.0km ->East gate of Unjusanseong Fortress 0.44km ->Peak of Unjusan Mountain 0.42km ->Crossroad (going straight) 1.0km ->Gate 0.77km ->Parking lot
  • Name and address for navigation : Unjusanseong Fortress, 90, Cheongsong, Jeondong-myeon,Sejong Special Self-governing City
03Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress
Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

Iseong Fortress, Jeonui-myeon is located at the south-west part, 4.5km straight from Unjusanseong Fortress, a base of Baekje Revival Movement. Geumiseong Fortress, Jeondong-myeon, is at the south-west part, 6.4km straight from Unjusanseong Fortress.These fortresses are presumed to be built during Baekje Dynasty. Below Iseong Fortress is a large path leading from Jeonui to Gonju, the capital of Baekje, while Geumiseong Fortress faces Iseong Fortress in a straight line of 3km. Built at the same period as the Unjusanseong Fortress, both fortresses are located at the strategically important point for Baekje.

Iseongsan Mountain (229m) with Iseong Fortress and Geumseong Mountain (430m) with Geumiseong Fortress are connected with a ridge across Jakseongsan Mountain (331m). As a hiking route has been made to allow trekking from Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress, it would be a meaningful trip if you take an exploration trip while enjoying climbing the mountain. The distance from Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress is 4.5km, and the distance from Geumiseong Fortress to Songseong, Jeondong-myeon is about 1km.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

A path to Iseong Fortress.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

A sign for cultural heritage in front of Iseong Fortress. You can reach the fortress after coming to the peak of Iseongsan Mountain.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

As most parts of the Iseong Fortress were demolished, only its vestige remains

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

As most parts of the Iseong Fortress were demolished, only its vestige remains.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

One can barely see the form of the collapsed fortress wall.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

Scenery of the Geumiseong Fortress. A part of the fortress remains intact.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

Scenery of the Geumiseong Fortress. The fortress collapsed with the passage of time, but its form still remains.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

Scenery of the Geumiseong Fortress. The fortress collapsed with the passage of time, but its form still remains.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

The length of the Geumiseong Fortress is 714m and its width is 4.5-5m. Only 3m is left in height.

Iseong Fortress and Geumiseong Fortress [Photo]

The form of watchtower, which was built to keep watch over the north, southeast and southwest regions, has remained in the interior of the Geumiseong Fortress.

Information

  • If you are using a car, it would be better to park your car near Daejeon Catholic University and start trekking from Iseong Fortress. It is the same as when using public transportation. You can use Songseong bus stop after finishing trekking at Geumiseong Fortress, but transportation is inconvenient. If you are in fine physical condition, it would be good to complete hiking from Gemiseong Fortress to Iseong Fortress again.
  • Name and address for navigation : Daejeon Catholic University, 30, Catholicdaehak-ro, Jeonui-myeon,Sejong Special Self-governing City
04Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo
Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

As a son of Kim Chu, Kim Jong-seo took various government positions after passing the civil service examinationin the 5th year during the reign of King Taejong (1405). During the reign of King Sejong the Great, he became the governor of Hamgil-do Province and general for pioneering six regions; he fixed the national boundary of Korea, bordering the Tumen. Additionally, as a director for editing“History of Goryeo,”“Sejong Sillok” and “Essentials of Goryeo History,” Kim Jong-seo (1390-1453) was an upright official with dignity. Although he ascended to the position of minister, he was killed by Grand Prince Suyang, who was a pretender to the throne, in the 1st year during the reign of King Danjong (1453). As he was falsely accused of high treason, he became the first victim of the uprising in the year of gyeyu.

General Kim Jong-seo has two sons with deep filial piety; respecting their father, these two sons ended up being killed by Grand Prince Suyang. Their bodies could not be recovered, but only a part of the body of the killed General Kim came back to his hometown. The general passed away and only his one leg buried.

300 years later,in the 22nd year of the reign of King Yeongju (1746), his loyalty was reassessed, and a red gate with spiked top was built at the entrance of his tomb with a monument to honor his loyalty. As the monument was properly established, this place indicates the tomb of a loyal servant who was good at both literary and martial arts.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

At the entrance of the tomb of General Kim Jong-seo, a memorial stone and red gate were built. The right side of the photo is a monument to honor his loyalty and his son’s filial piety, sacrificed during the uprising in the year of gyeyu.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

The memorial stone and red gate from the entrance of the tomb. The monument is seen from behind the red gate. A 150m-path of pine tree to the tomb is a beautiful path with natural stones.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

Near the monuments of Kim Jong-seo and Kim Seung-gyu. Funeral banner signboards are hung for them.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

The oldest monument at the tomb of General Kim Jong-seo is the monument built by Gongju Governor Lee Ik-jin and local Confucian scholars in 1736 (24th year during the reign of King Yeongju) after two years from returning to the position. The two-line writing, saying “Joseon Gwauijeong Jeolje Kimseonsaeng Jongseo Jimyo (朝鮮左議政節齊金先生宗瑞之墓)” is inscribed and the story of establishment is written on the side.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

The tomb of General Kim Jong-seo from the side of the burial mound.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

Whole view of the tomb of General Kim Jong-seo. There are various kinds of stones, including the Myeondeungseok Stone lighting up the road to the other world, the Mangjuseok Stone to give hope to the spirit to find the home well, the Muninseok Stone protecting the tomb as a symbol of the dead, and the Honyuseok Stone playing with the spirit of the dead.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

Whole view of the tomb of General Kim Jong-seo.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

The tomb of General Kim Jong-seo from the side. A statue of a young body faces the tomb.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

Whole view of the tomb of General Kim Jong-seo. You can see the entire village of Daegyo, Janggi-myeon, Gongju at a glance in front of the tomb.

Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo [Photo]

The monument, which was newly constructed in 1963, depicts the history of General Kim Jong-seo in detail, saying “Deagwangboguk Sungrokdaebu Gwauijeongik Chungikho Jeolje Suncheonkimgong Jongseo Jimyo (輔國崇祿大夫左議政謚忠翼號節齊順天金公宗瑞之墓).”

Information

  • Name and address for navigation : Tomb of General Kim Jong-seo, 45, Daegyo, Janggun-myeon, Sejong Special Self-governing City
05Geumgangdaedo
Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Geumgangdaedo became active when Lee Seung-yeo, born at Pohang, Dapjeon-myeon, Tongcheon-gun, Gangwon-do Province, practiced virtue by moving to Baegam-dong, Sindoan, Gyeryongsan Mountain in 1910 after he found enlightenment at the age of 33. According to the survey by the government general in 1934, the number of devotees was 13,000, which indicates its significance. (Source: Digital Cheongju Grand Culture)

With the general temple of Geumgangdaedo, Geumcheon, Geumnam-myeon, Sejong City was not a big town; as the religion built its base about 100 years ago, its believers from all areas in the country gathered to form a large village. At the ridge of Geumhwasan Mountain and Geumbyeongsan Mountain, which wrap around Geumcheon like a folding screen, the main hall of Geumgangdaedo has various engravings and symbols such as Samjong Daeseongjeon Hall, Samcheong Bogwangjeon Hall, Yeonhwadae Statue, Samgyeongdae Statue, Seonggyeongdae Statue, Geumjongru Pavilion, 100-year-anniversary tower, 100-year-anniversary monument, Oman Lighthouse and Samjong Gate.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

It is the scenery of the village of Geumcheon 1, Geumnam-myeon. A signboard for Geumgangdaedo is seen.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Whole view of the 100-year-anniversary tower. As a tower marking a century of creating Geumgangdaedo, it symbolizes three fundamental elements, which are heaven, earth and man, with figures.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Samjong Gate. As a gate which was built to mark a century for creating Geumgangdaedo, it symbolizes the Chinese character “開”meaning“openness.”

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Whole view of Oman Lighthouse. To mark a century for creating Geumgangdaedo, it was built as a symbol to lighten up the path for the people for the next 50,000 years.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Whole view of Samgyeongdae Statue. The characters “Uiseong” were engraved in relief. It is the symbol of the devotees of Geumgangdaedo.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Whole view of the Yeonhwa 100-year-anniversary monument. It is a monument to mark the 100-year-anniversary of Yeonhwa.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Whole view of Samjong Daeseongjeon Hall. As honoring Deadodeokseong Sageon Gonbumo for faith, this place is designed to offer a devout prayer.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Left and right buildings of Samjong Daeseongjeon Hall are Zen rooms for studying, called “Enlightenment Room”

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

At the gate tower of Samjong Daeseongjeon Hall, there are large drums and bells.

Geumgangdaedo [Photo]

Although Geumcheon is currently a rural village with few people, many devotees visited the village as the main hall of Geumgangdaedo was built. It can be guessed by seeing the stores remaining as a modern architecture at the entrance of Geumgangdaedo.

Information

  • Website and telephone number: www.kumkangdaedo.com / -866-8787
  • Name and address for navigation : Geumgangdaedo, 31-9, Geumbyeong-ro, Geumnam-myeon, Sejong Special Self-governing City
06Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu)
Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

When King Sejo (1455-1468 in reign) dethroned King Danjong (1441-1457 in reign), Seong Sam-mun (1418-1456) did not withdraw his intention and was killed while adhering his fidelity as one of six loyal servants. Born in Hongseong, Chungcheongnam-do Province, he passed the state examination in the 20th year during the reign of King Sejong the Great (1438) and received affection from the king by being selected as a scholar of the Hall of Worthies. After he did research on phonetics in Ming Dynasty, he greatly contributed to promulgating Hunminjeongeum, on October 9, 1446. Although he planned to restore King Danjong with Park Paeng-nyeon and Heo Jo, he failed to achieve restoration and was killed after being tormented by King Sejo.

As one of six loyal servants who represent the faithful servants with fidelity and are deeply respected by the people, Seong Sam-mun had inborn capability with a high level of knowledge. His penname is Chungmun. Located at the north of Daljeon, Munjeolsa Temple has three front sides and two sides. The roof is a gable roof, which is similar with the form of “人.”

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Scenery of Daljeon where Munjeolsa Temple is located. The temple is seen on the hill in the right-sided village.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Munjeolsa Temple is seen behind private houses.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

You can reach Munjeolsa Temple by ascending the hill along a narrow alley.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Whole view of Munjeolsa Temple. A roof is seen behind Muljeolsabi Monument and Eosamnum Gate.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Muljeolsabi Monument. It depicts the past of Seongsammun at its front and rear side.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Muljeolsabi Monument from the side.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Munjeolsa Temple beyond the wall. You can see the whole view of the temple without opening the door thanks to low walls

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Munjeolsa Temple was built with three front sides and two sides with the form of double eaves and gambrel roof; one front side is the end side. The front side is open, while both sides of the end section are blocked with the wall. The pillar is minheulim pillar and has a wing-like structure.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

Scenery with Munjeolsa Temple.

Munjeolsa Temple (Maejukheonsawu) [Photo]

An old chair guarding Daljeon bus stop catches people’s eyes. If you have a seat on this chair, which was donated by a pharmaceuticalcompany, you can see Munjeolsa Temple.

Information

  • There is a parking lot at Daljeon bus stop where Munjeolsa Temple is located. If you see the southern part from the bus stop, you will see the temple on the hill.
  • Name and address for navigation : Munjeolsa Temple, 55-7, Munjeolsa-gil, Geumnam-myeon, Sejong City.